In a very interesting move some Bangalore techies have come together, formed a club called RideACycle and are now planning to pull a la Tour De France. It is called “Tour oF Nilgiris” (TFN) and is one of its kind in India.
As per their official blogsite
The Tour of Nilgiris is a 7-day, 919-km bicycle ride across the famed Nilgiri mountain range in South India. The Tour of Nilgiris takes off from Bangalore on 25th December 2008 and ends on the 1st January 2009. As the name suggests, it is a tour and not a race. On the tour you get to ride with 40 like-minded riders on what could be the journey of a lifetime
The main sponsor is 91.9 FM - One of Bangalore’s leading FM stations. Interestingly, the organizers have reduced their journey from 1000 kms to 919 kms – No prizes for the right answer.
- Promote cycling. Go green, become less fuel dependent
- Promote Nilgiris as a safe place for cycling enthusiasts
- Promote bio-diversity
- Make one more step towards nature
- Generate respect for environment
- Get proximity to culture, cuisines and history
- Promote fitness and camaraderie
- And of course – Ride with like minded people
Some Unique Selling Points (USPs)
- Availability of a qualified Doctor in Sports & Exercise Medicine on board for the whole tour
- Free SMS alerts and reminders
- A great team of experienced cyclists
- A movie on the run by Flaunge
Check their FAQ for further details. Also visit their site – tourofnilgiris.com for a good dope of what is in store.
Some food for thought, huh ? Or is it Road to Nirvana ?
Story Credit: Santhosh !