It’s weekend and after clearing up some email, I started exploring new stuff around. I stumbled upon Google Latitude. Yet another Beta from Google you must be thinking, but I must tell you this one is worth exploring.
Not too sure if you have heard of Nokia Friend View, Google Latitude is very much on those lines. Simply put Latitude is a spy in your pocket
Latitude is an add on in Google Maps for mobile. It lets you sign in with your Google Account, and sets your current location using the GPS (Global Positioning System) device on your mobile. These days many mobile phones are coming with GPS devices and this will exactly make use of that.
Here’s what it lets you do:
- Update your status-For instance I have updated my status here in the picture as “Testing Google Latitude”.
- Add friends and share your location with them.
- See their location on Google Maps
- For those concerned about invasion of privacy it lets you manually set the location, so for instance you may be on the road, but your location may show as office
- It also provides an iGoogle gadget which you can use on computer to view locations (pictured here)
It works with most locations, if it says “not supported in your region”, just change the URL on your browser to point to .google.com instead of say .google.co.in .
On the whole it seems to be an excellent piece of work from Google and with recent steps Google is taking in terms of Social Networking with Friend Connect and now Latitude, they may very well be on their road to creating the world’s largest network of social networks.
For now good work Google, you guys keep pushing the limits on use of technology and bring it to masses.
And readers get on to Google Latitude and give it a try!
- Browser Wars! IE8 vs Firefox vs Chrome vs Safari vs Opera
- Geo Tag Your Photos Easily Using Geo Setter
- Location Mapper, Zero Cost Geo Tagger for Symbian Devices
- How to Update Twitter, FriendFeed and Facebook with Google FriendConnect Activities
- Is Bhuvan taking on Google Earth ?